Saturday, 3 October 2009

Review of my favorite film of the year

This review is about 'The Iliad' by Niki Caro

'The Iliad', the poster said. It had immediatly drawn my attention. I always liked the tale of the Trojan war, but Wolfgang Petersen's Troy had disappointed me with it's lack of a good story. Was this movie going to be any better?

Luckily, it is better than Troy. The film starts in the tenth year of the Trojan war, just like in the original poem, but it isn't hard to follow at all. It doesn't dwell in fighting and war scenes and the ones shown are very dramatically filmed, giving the viewer a sample of the horrors of warfare. Holding on to Homer's poem, Caro manages to portray the characters and their motives well.

However, by depending completely on the poem, Caro has spoiled some of the story's best moments, including the ending. It wasn't rubbish, no way! The film finishes before the war ends. Sure, the tale of the Trojan horse was written down later than the Iliad, but we do know it, so why would it be excluded from a film version?

For those who are interested in Greek myths, go and check this one out. It is a masterpiece.


Word count: Between 195 and 200 words

5 comments:

  1. Good job, Arthur! I think this is a good piece of writing contentswise. You managed to catch my attention.
    Of course, your English is not without mistakes, but it shows promise. We will talk about the mistakes (amd the strong points) in class. I am curious to know if your classmates can spot some of the mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wrote "dwell in" where it should be "dwell on" in this case, at least. Because when you use "dwell in" it's more like live in a place or walk somewhere. And you used it in the meaning of something you pause (the fighting) at and then it should be "dwell on". Check google if you don't buy it. :P

    What I is kinda confusing, but I hope you get it.

    Cheers,
    Bas

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know whether this is correct, but I think the 'would-part' in your sentence is wrong in the third paragraph. It just doesn't sound like a good English sentence. I think 'should' fits better.
    But I think this is really a very good review, I like it. And my comment is also a bit confusing, so just don't mind it too much :P I think it's a well-written review.

    Cyril

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah i agree with Cyril it should be something like "should"...

    Cheers,
    Bas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the positive comments

    P.S. I don't think they were confusing.

    See you all tomorrow!
    Arthur

    ReplyDelete